Friday, April 6, 2007

Waking the Dream by Maria Holmes, Nosotras, Smith College

"Waking the Dream"
By Maria Holmes, Smith College

I refuse to call it American.

Every individual who steps on "American" soil comes with thirst

out of starvation for THE DREAM.

Through days of desert, with hope leading them to take the next tired
step in stride.

No we are not just Mexican. We are Salvadorian, Nigerian, Arab, Jewish,
Athiest, white.

Yes white.

Although you live my dream you are me, an immigrant on this soil.

What did you do to become the privileged? What must I do?

I've sold my labor, killed my sister, and even graduated from your
colleges and universities.

Yes, I did.

America has made it hard for us to attend but we have made summa cum
laude.

Am I sleeping?

Can you really not see me?

The American Dream, pshh NO!

This is my (our) dream. No one else can continue to defer it.

I am waking the dream.

Are you ready?

*Excerpt from Nosotras' Voces Unidas Feb. 2007: Vol. 25, Issue 4*

No comments: